5/24/11

I cannot be a mother and a blogger.

Apparently I am horrible at multi-tasking...my life. I don't know how all the "mommy bloggers" do it, but I have found it hard to be a mother + ________ (anything else). One of my friends pointed out that I haven't blogged in over a month. I am supposed to go back to work in a few weeks, and I'm slightly freaking out about how I am going to manage taking care of Isla, myself, our house, and finding time to sleep after work. I am also slightly freaking out about leaving Isla home alone with Andrew all night--mostly because I am afraid she won't sleep and he'll be exhausted for work the next day. But, that's a whole other subject.

Anyway, just thought I'd write an update of what's been going on in our life as of late. No pictures this time--sorry--I am writing this from my Mom's computer and haven't had time to upload recent pictures. We are taking a trip this weekend and I PROMISE I'll take some pictures and post some. I'm sure you're all dying with anticipation! Ha.

Here are the highlights of the last month-ish or so:

  • Isla has been fussy...suffering from "colic"--the term for general prolonged fussiness, it seems. We've tried everything from gripe water to the Miracle Blanket (which is actually pretty great), but of course there's no cure-all for it. So, I've learned to function with only one arm most of the day and haven't gotten out of the house very much, for fear that she'll have a melt down. Thankfully, my older sister, Kristin, lives about 5 minutes away. I go there a lot--in fact, when I don't go, my niece asks her "why Elyse isn't here". Thanks to her, though, I am still sane-ish.
  • On a good note, she does seem to be growing out of it, and has developed her "social smile". Things that elicit this smile include: passing gas, seeing mom & dad, and listening to the Tangled soundtrack. She also hates getting dressed, which is sad for me, because I cannot play dress up with her like I want to, sigh. Oh, well, I'm sure I'll have plenty of time for that as she grows up.
  • Last Isla news: besides the fact that she's freaking cute, everything checked out at her 2 month appointment last week. She was 9 lbs 11 oz, 21.5 inches long, and in the 25th percentile for everything. She got her shots--sad day--and then slept for like 4 hours, so I secretly liked the shots, which I know is horrible. Our goal from now until her 4 month appointment is to get her to sleep on the other side of her head more so we can avoid a helmet. Wish us luck!
  • We are getting ready for a trip to California this Thursday (yay!!!!) to visit family, enjoy Memorial Day weekend, and see Tanner & Katie's new baby, Ford, get blessed. T&K are moving to China in a couple months (yikes!), so we want to see them as much as we can before they go. I cannot wait for the beach and the weather forecast is simply lovely.
  • We painted our kitchen chairs (well, Andrew did) a dark purple, and put mulch in our yard. Those were our home improvement projects this last weekend as the weather decided to be amazing. Our next home improvement project: making a headboard for our bed. This will involve Andrew using an electric saw and staple gun. Pray for us.
  • One of my best friends in the whole world, Camille, just moved back to Utah and bought a house like 15 minutes from us. I am SOOOOO excited to have her close by, and plan to take advantage of her good conversation and craft skills as often as possible!
  • Andrew had a birthday at the beginning of this month and turned the big 2-6! We went to a movie while my mom watched Isla, and it was so nice to have some semblance of a date finally. Love him!
Anyway, that's about it for now. Sorry, nothing too exciting, but I'll provide some pictures of the oh-so-cute babe and our Memorial Day trip when I get back...which probably translates into another month or so! Wish me luck :)

6 comments:

Whitney said...

Sounds rough! But I'm glad you are surviving.

Camille said...

This is such a good update! But I'm so glad I will be able to get it from you in person now, since, like you said, we will be so darn close!! HOORAY!

PS. See you tomorrow!

Ben, Ashley, and Nate said...

Good luck on the headboard--it will go great!

Diana Hulme said...

Glad to hear Isla is doing a little better. :) I totally know what you mean about blogging (or doing anything else) and being a mom! It's so busy. :) Excited to see your headboard - post pictures!

nathan schmoe said...

It gets SO much easier! Hang in there, in a few months she'll be woo-ing you with kisses and making you laugh with her new little words and you'll forget all about the sleepless nights and other newborn-related trauma! Promise!
Love you Leesie!!

Nate and Erin said...

Don't worry. I am even worse at blogging than you. According to my blog I am still pregnant. So your two posts are more than mine! I really don't know how people find the time to blog. Plus, I was always bad at keeping a journal growing up anyway so naturally I am a bad blogger ;)