2/5/09

I Love Babies!


Okay, now don't run away with this and think I am pregnant or anything! I just wanted to write about a great experience I had yesterday. For anyone who doesn't know, I am in my 4th semester of the Nursing program. I have really enjoyed it thus far--aside from the fact that they work us to the bone and it's pretty hard! I just have to keep reminding myself that it will be really rewarding someday :)

Each semester we study something different and work in a hospital for one shift a week in whatever specialty we are studying. So far I have done Geriatrics, Medical/Surgical, and Pediatrics.

Well, yesterday I was able to work on a Labor & Delivery floor--and I absolutely LOVED it! I feel like I finally know now why I wanted to pursue nursing in the first place. The birth of a baby is so special and miraculous, and it's amazing to watch new parents just gaze in awe at their new little baby. I also loved just taking care of the mom's while they were in labor--they were so appreciative and I felt like I really helped them in some way! It was awesome.

And not to mention--the babies are SO stinkin cute! So, anyway, great day of clinical--which is rare--and just wanted to share it!

6 comments:

Diana Hulme said...

Ok - so not that this is even close to your nursing experiences, but during college I loved volunteering at UVRMC because I got to work in the nursery - and after I did all the blanket folding & busy work, I got to hold the tiny brand new babies and I loved it! You're right - they are just so precious and adorable right after birth.

Annie. said...

It's perfectly ok to love babies! And I always hated it that just because you are newly married, everyone thinks you want to get pregnant just because you love babies or baby items. Sheesh!

My sister is a nurse and one of her FAVORITE places to work is Labor and Delivery. Second only to the ER.

Amanda Jones said...

You scared me there for a bit... But I am so glad you are enjoying it. I can just see you fitting in PERFECTLY there!

kate said...

I am so excited for you to be in labor and delivery. I really want you to be in the delivery room with me on next baby.

Rasmussen Family said...

ya, I love babies too! Love love love them! So, question, how do you feel about "hypno-birthing" and going "natural?"

queenieweenie said...

go for it! if i had to do it all over again, i'd do the same thing...what use is an english major really?