2/23/09

It's Pretty Much All Hype

A couple weeks ago Pat's B.B.Q. in Salt Lake City was featured on Guy Fieri's Food Network show, so of course you think if it got Guy's approval then it has to be good, right?

Well last Saturday, Elyse and I along with her sister, husband and their little kids; and Elyse's brother and his wife went up to see what this place was all about. The line to be seated was substantial, so this was another good sign. Once we were seated I noticed the place was more like a bar (low lit with neon Budweiser and NASCAR signs, not to mention we were surrounded by WT folk). Did I say this was a bad thing? No, we love people watching.

However, once our server took our orders, a period of AN HOUR passed without us receiving our food--let alone even being acknowledged at all by our server for something like drink refills. Sorry we didn't order alcohol buddy...and to top it off, at the half-way point of waiting, a 60 year-old version of Kid Rock got on the stage at front and began jamming tunes from Grateful Dead and Neil Young. It was about four times louder than necessary and halted any conversation that might have ensued amongst our party.

When we FINALLY got our food and it was just okay. I mean, I've had better ribs at Friday's. The only real winner was the corn bread (but it was a winner--I even got an order to-go on the way out). In the end, we went to pay and found out a FIVE DOLLAR cover charge had been added to our bill for the so called "concert" that we so much enjoyed. No tip from us--we're not usually cheap like that, but this was just unacceptable.

And, to top it all off, as we were leaving we noticed another party complaining to the owner of the restaurant. Apparently, they had been seated and waited an hour for their food as well, just to have their waiter come out and tell them that the restaurant had run out of food! And it was only 7:30. And I thought WE got screwed--these people were outright enraged.

So, needless to say, we won't be visiting Pat again any time soon.

5 comments:

Glo said...

Funny, Mitch and I were going to try Pat's because we saw it on the food network, maybe we will pass. We do recommend Ruth's, which is another food network pick. It's amazing!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh we love Ruth's!! Best biscuits and everything. Let's all go sometime!

Anonymous said...

Funny! I was just at Pat's on Friday. Had a kid's meal chicken thigh. It was ok - I didn't try any of the sauce, just had it as is. And the cornbread was way yummy! I also had cole slaw. I'll pass on that next time. It should be called Southwest Cabbage Salad. Way spicy (not that spicy is bad, just not on cole slaw, please)

Oh. And awful live music during the lunch hour. Way too loud, and I couldn't carry on a conversation with my lunch date. Which, after all, was the point of our going out to lunch together.

Next time, Sugarhouse BBQ.
:-D

Rasmussen Family said...

we gotta pass on the word

Bongard Family said...

haha... I stalked you and found your blog! Anywho, Noah, Savannah and I went up their on a tuesday afternoon about two weeks ago and had no wait at all. I was not the biggest fan, but we sat down, ordered and had our food in about 15 minutes. The music was pretty bad. We had to listen to a Fiona Apple wannabe. I miss Smokey Bones from FL, but Goodwood is much better BBQ than these guys and about the same price. I think on our diners, drive-ins and dives tour we are hitting moochies next.