1/13/11

The Prego Diary.

So, I've gotten a lot of flack about not looking pregnant, not blogging or posting enough about my pregnancy, etc. Mostly, it's not that exciting day to day. But also, there's some laziness and fear of being that pregnant woman who won't shut up about her pregnancy in the mix as well (note: not talking about anyone in particular here! More about myself...some days I feel like it's all I talk about cause I don't have much else going on!) So, to make up for my lack of info giving, I've decided to do a post about how pregnancy has been for me so far. Here are a few tidbits.
  • I haven't really gotten sick (thank goodness), which was my biggest fear because I absolutely hate throwing up. It only happened once, and I think it was a fluke.
  • I was very tired during the 1st and 2nd trimesters, but I feel pretty good now (i.e. I don't have to sleep til noon every day!) My only sleeping distress is that I cannot sleep well at night. I toss and turn and finally fall asleep soundly around 7 or 8 am when Andrew is leaving. I think that may also be attributed to my night shift schedule, though...
  • I DO, in fact, look pregnant. I promise I'll take a really good belly shot here soon. I just don't like taking pictures of myself period, so being pregnant hasn't exactly helped that :) But, I have had quite a few strangers in the last couple of weeks ask when I'm due, so yay! I think it's more noticeable in person. So really, don't be too jealous that I don't even look bigger, cause if I don't, then my scale must be way off.
  • My belly button just doesn't look the same. It's very odd.
  • Most people enjoy the extra enhancement "up top" (wink wink) that accompanies the growing belly of pregnancy, but I have to say, I hate it. I've never been a busty girl and I think that's how it was meant to be. (Not that I would necessarily be classified that way now by most people's standards, but it's a big change for me!) I can't wait for the post-nursing shrinkage.
  • I can feel our little gal move a ton, and she is most active at night--usually right when I'm going to bed and when I get up to go to the bathroom many times. The nights I work are like a party for her, because we're actually awake together! I think she also gets jealous when I hold other babies in the nursery at work, cause she tends to kick them a lot :)
  • I haven't had any crazy cravings...yet. For a while I was really digging salty things (think french fries and kettle cooked chips) late at night, but that's pretty much gone. Now I just eat normal, except for the fact that I eat about 14 meals a day vs. 3. I can't fit too much in at a time, so I have to graze. Probably not the best habit to get into, but oh well, it works for now!
  • I have had a lot of those "Braxton Hicks" contractions, but I had more of them while we were in the process of moving. Now that I've slowed down a bit, I only have them a few times a day.
  • Working full-time nights is starting to take it's toll on me. By the end of the night my body just plain hurts. Other people might just think I'm lazy, but my back and legs can't handle it much longer. Other than those long nights, though, I haven't had too much pain to speak of.
  • My ankles are not swollen...yet. Knock on wood! They do get slightly swollen after a night of work, but they did that when I wasn't pregnant, too. I think being pregnant in the winter really helps me in this area, which I guess is an okay trade-off for the increased slipping hazard I've become in the snow.
  • I think it's still weird to think I'm actually going to be a Mom when all of this is said and done. Right now I just like having a little secret friend with me all the time, that nobody else really gets to be friends with. She keeps me company when I'm home alone and Andrew's at work. But to think of actually being her mom and raising her and knowing what to do...that is all a little overwhelming for me! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I guess. For now, we'll just continue to get to know each other and decorate the nursery :)
Well, there's a good recap. Sorry if it's long and boring, and if nobody reads it, I'm at least glad I wrote it all down for myself to remember one day. I'll be 30 weeks on Saturday, and then it's 10 weeks (hopefully slightly less...) and counting til we can meet her in person! Yay!

5 comments:

Elise said...

oh yay! i can't wait either!! you guys will always make beautiful babies.

Annie. said...

I loved reading about your pregnancy! You should post more. I think it's amazing that you are working night shifts while pregnant - crazy!

I hope I'm not "that" pregnant girl you mentioned...who talks about her pregnancy incessantly...ha! I spill all the beans on my blog, but I DO know how to be sensitive in social settings, where lots of people might possibly be struggling with infertility. Been there...and nothing is more annoying or frustrating than people talking about being pregnant nonstop!

Elyse said...

Oh of course not! I can't even get on your blog to see. I wasn't talking about anyone in particular...more about myself! Some days I feel like that's all I talk about because I don't have much else going on...and I just don't want to drive people nuts!

Whitney said...

It's all so exciting! Only 10 more weeks. I'm pregnant, too! Only about 16 weeks along. I am so jealous you haven't been sick. Oh yeah, and the sleeping til noon thing, that's a big problem for me too. Take care, Elyse. So excited for you guys! I love to talk about being pregnant so you can call me anytime.

nathan schmoe said...

i love it! brings back lots of memories...she will be here before you know it and you'll be glad you're writing stuff like this down. and as for the (ahem) enhancements....i'll save you the suspense. post-nursing shrinkage turns your ladies into empty sacks of sagginess. it's a saaaad saaaad thing. enjoy them while they last! love you so much!!